The Swannington Smith - Smithes Connection


 
In mid November 2005 we had a call for help from Laura Bramly of Stratford, Connecticut, who wanted help to find her mother's family in Limby Hall, a small hamlet of about 20 houses in Swannington Parish.


The houses were built for miners employed at a coalmine, which operated in the mid 18th century. When it closed, the miners gained employment in the mines later sunk in Swannington. The James and Eliza Smith's family were recorded in Swannington as early as 1851. The names of James and Mary Smith's children were - Sarah, Elizabeth, William, Mary H., Florence M., Alice M., John T., Agnes L., Olive G. and Laura M. Laura Bramly has sent a photo of James son, James' family, taken in about 1915/20 at a family wedding, thought to be of his daughter Laura. Anyone recognize any of those portrayed? Laura Bramly's grandmother, Olive Gertrude, married Edwin Dixon Smithies at St. Georges in 1913.