Welcome to the website of the multi award winning Swannington Heritage Trust. We have a fabulous group of volunteers who work fantastically hard to achieve amazing things
- restoring the dilapidated shell of Hough Mill – mill open Sundays 2-5pm until end of September, please wear a mask
- recovering neglected railway and coal mining sites and managing them as woodlands and grass heathland
- researching Swannington’s history, cataloguing the archive and publishing historical information
- running events, tours and talks.
The Trust is running events as part of the Hello Heritage festival 4th-19th September, sponsored by North West Leicestershire District Council, these include:
- Online Talks – The Operation Of The Califat Coal Mine 1854-1873, plus 500 Years Of Wyggeston Hospital Owning The Manor Of Swannington 1521-2021.
- Califat Coal Mine – Tour of the excavated buildings.
- Swannington Incline – Tour of the historical features.
Details are on the diary page.
What our visitors say
"...Lovely spot great to learn about our local history...."Facebook
"...Restored windmill. Run by volunteers who offer a great deal of knowledge about local history. Definitely worth a visit...."Google Reviews
"...Lovely walk with family and dog, adventure for the kids..."Google Reviews
"...Industrial heritage site run entirely by volunteers. They also maintain an inclined plane nearby...."Google Reviews
We love sharing photos that people send to us, many thanks to Gary Hawthorne for these fabulous photos. More public provided photos are in our Community Gallery do have a look.