Welcome to the website of the multi award winning Swannington Heritage Trust. We have a fabulous group of volunteers who work fantastically hard to achieve amazing things
- restoring the dilapidated shell of Hough Mill – mill open Sundays 2-5pm until end of September, please wear a mask
- recovering neglected railway and coal mining sites and managing them as woodlands and grass heathland
- researching Swannington’s history, cataloguing the archive and publishing historical information
- running events, tours and talks.
Festival Of Leicestershire And Rutland Archaeology
The Trust is running nine events as part of the Festival of Leicestershire and Rutland Archaeology, these include:
- Guided Walks – The land that doesn’t know where it is, plus Hidden in full view.
- Online Talks – Leicestershire Railways, plus Coal Mines of Swannington and District.
- Califat Coal Mine – Two tours plus a family event.
- Swannington Incline – Two tours
Details are on the diary page.
What our visitors say
"...Lovely spot great to learn about our local history...."Facebook
"...Restored windmill. Run by volunteers who offer a great deal of knowledge about local history. Definitely worth a visit...."Google Reviews
"...Lovely walk with family and dog, adventure for the kids..."Google Reviews
"...Industrial heritage site run entirely by volunteers. They also maintain an inclined plane nearby...."Google Reviews
We love sharing photos that people send to us, many thanks to Gary Hawthorne for these fabulous photos. More public provided photos are in our Community Gallery do have a look.