Breach Farm is to the south west of the middle corner of “L” shaped Limby Hall Lane.
Farmers at Breach Farm
1901 John George Fewkes
John George Fewkes is recorded on the 1901 census. He was the son of Jesse Fewkes and Sarah Richards of the Angel Inn Coleorton. His half brother James Shaw (by his mother’s first marriage to Joseph Sheffield Shaw) was a farmer and publican at the Kings Arms, Swannington (now Coleorton). His uncle, John Fewkes, and nephew, (another) Joseph Sheffield Shaw, were both at Elm Farm, Swannington.
John George moved to Loughborough Road where he was a grazier living opposite Hull’s shop at the end of Olga Terrace and on the corner of Tugby’s Lane.
1936-1959 George Westerman Mee
The 1939 register lists the farm occupants as:
- George Westerman Mee, Dairy Farmer, born 1894 (born Coalville, died 1959 at the General Hospital, Leicester, while still resident at Breach Farm)
- Edith Griffin Mee (nee Howard), wife, Unpaid Domestic Duties, born 1894 (born Coalville, died 1952)
- Arthur William Mee, brother, Motor Bus Driver, born 1903 (born Coalville, died 1969, The Cottage, Mill Lane, Swannington)
World War Two Farm Survey
G W Mee had rented the farm from New Lount Colliery since 1936.
The farm did not have electricity and water came from a well, pond and stream.
The assessor’s comments were:
- Lack of initiative and energy. The condition of the hedges and ditches on this holding suggest that the farmer does not give it as much attention as he could.
Farm size = 22 acres
- Grain – 5 acres
- Roots – 1 acre
- Grass for mowing – 5 acres
- Grass for grazing – 10 acres
- Cattle – 12
- Fowls – 11
- Horses – 2