Main Street, opposite the former Bulls Head Inn. Current entrance to house is via Church Lane.
Cattle stalls demolished 1980s to enable road to be widened. Part of area now the Women’s Institute Community Garden.
Farmers at Manor Farm
1911-1923 James Richards
The 1911 census lists the occupants of Manor Farm as:
- James Richards, 36, farmer, born Swannington
- Harriet Richards, 35, married 8 years, 2 children both living, born Liverpool, Lancashire
- Sylvia Richards, 7, born Swannington
- Myrtle Richards, 11 months, born Swannington
- Matilda Manders, 18, domestic servant, born Coalville
- Samuel James Wright, 20, cowman, born Fulham, London
The 29th April 1921 Nottingham Journal records James Richards of Manor Farm during the miners strike giving miners permission to dig outcrop coal in one of his fields at Thringstone.
The 24th January 1923 Yorkshire Evening Post reported on James Richards of Manor Farm hosting a whist drive in aid of Leicester Infirmary. Vicar, the Rev Greenwood Robinson would not allow the village church school to be used for whist drives and dancing.
World War Two Farm Survey
William Thorpe and his wife Jane were at Manor Farm.
Farm size = 93.5 acres
- Grain – 30 acres
- Roots – 6.5 acres
- Grass for mowing – 7 acres
- Grass for grazing – 50 acres
- Cattle – 19
- Sheep – 2
- Fowls – 42
- Ducks – 2
- Horses – 7