Swannington Isolation Hospital
In 1884 the Ashby Rural Sanitary Board built a smallpox isolation hospital behind the entrance to the Coleorton Railway tunnel off St George’s Hill. It was no longer required in the 1930’s and since then has been a private residence, Highfield House. In some ways the most noticeable element is its staffing:
- Ann Platts, the caretaker who looked after the patients 1885-1912
- Eleanor Walden, a uniformed nurse, 1912-1932 after which she moved to Ravenstone Hospital (almshouses).
The March 1997 edition of “Now and Then”, the Trust members’ magazine included an article on the isolation hospital. Download Isolation Hospital