King’s Arms (now Coleorton)
The King’s Arms was a Swannington public house. In 1936 there were numerous boundary changes when Coalville Urban District Council expanded. The opportunity was taken to “tidy up” parish boundaries and the one between Coleorton and Swannington was moved to the east. As a result the houses on both sides of The Moorlands are in Coleorton Parish.
1880 Thomas Potter to William Poster – Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 08 May 1880 – Temporary transfer of the license of the Red House, Coalville, was granted to William Edward Frisby ; and of the King’s Arms Inn, Swannington, from Thomas Potter to William Poster.
Landlord 1911 James Shaw – The 1911 census shows a large family comprising:
- James Shaw, 49 years, Farmer and Publican, born Coleorton.
- Clara Shaw, 50 years, born Coleorton.
- Clara Annie Shaw, 19 years, Mother’s Help, born Coleorton.
- Evelyn May Shaw, 18 years, Mother’s Help, born Coleorton.
- Joseph William Shaw, 16 years, Farm Labourer, born Coleorton.
- Thomas Richards Shaw, 14 years, Farm Labourer, born Coleorton.
- Eustace W P Shaw, 12 years, Scholar, born Coleorton.
- Elsie Maud Shaw, 10 years, Scholar, born Coleorton.
- John Fern, boarder, 59 years, Carpenter at the Coal Mines, born Coleorton.