Public Houses Beyond Swannington Parish Boundaries
Swannington’s history did not stop at the parish boundaries and several public houses within a couple of hundred yards / metres of the boundary lines played roles in the lives of the people of Swannington.
Angel Inn, Coleorton
The Angel Inn, The Moor, Coleorton – landlords and landladies:
1863 Joseph Sheffield Shaw
Joseph Sheffield Shaw was a smith in Gelsmoor when he married Sarah Richards at Breedon on the 31st January 1860.
By 1863 he had become the landlord of the Angel Inn, Coleorton. White’s Directory 1863 lists Joseph Shaw, victualler, Angel, Coleorton.
Joseph died 24th June 1863 and was buried at Griffydam Methodist cemetery.
Joseph and Sarah’s son James Shaw was a farmer and publican at the Kings Arms, Swannington (boundary changes moved it into Coleorton in 1936) in 1911.
Joseph and Sarah’s grandson Joseph Sheffield Shaw (via their son Thomas Richards Shaw) was at Elm Farm, Swannington in 1911.
1863-1866 Sarah Shaw (nee Richards)
After the death of her first husband Joseph Sheffield Shaw, Sarah became the landlady of the Angel.
1866-1881 Jesse Fewkes
On the 30th October 1866 at Coleorton church, Sarah Shaw married miner Jesse Fewkes (son of John Fewkes farmer) of Swannington. As was the custom at the time Jesse Fewkes became the landlord, even though it is likely that Sarah did most of the work, as the 1871 census showing Jesse as a farmer of 24 acres and licensed victualler. Jesse died 31st March 1881. They had three children:
- Susan Maria Fewkes 1867, who married butcher Drayton Albert Walker.
- Constance Fewkes 1869, died aged 19.
- John George Fewkes 1871, farmer at Breach Farm Swannington, before moving to Loughborough Road, opposite Olga Terrace.
1881-1887 Sarah Fewkes (nee Richards)
After the death of her second husband Jesse Fewkes, Sarah again became the landlady of the Angel.
1887-1890 John Berkin
Sarah married her third husband, John Berkin, on the 14th April 1887 at Coleorton. The marriage register records John as the publican.
1890-1911 Sarah Berkin (nee Richards)
After her husband’s death Sarah again formally becomes the licensee, a role she held under three of her four names.
Fox Inn, Thringstone
On the 1st June 1863 the inquest into the death of John Hutchinson, who died in the Califat Colliery Overwind Incident took place at the Fox Inn, Thringstone.
George Inn, Coleorton
White’s Directory 1863 – Thomas Statham, victualler, George, Coleorton
1908-1930 Grace Elizabeth (Lizzie) Jordan was licensee – more details on Coleorton Heritage Group website.
In 1794 William Jessop built a horse drawn tramway from the Coleorton mines behind the George Inn to the Charnwood Forest Canal. North of Thringstone water mill it met with the spur from the Raper and Fenton mine in Swannington.
New Inn, Peggs Green
The New Inn is opposite the former Coleorton No 1 Colliery (California) owned by Benjamin Walker and William Worswick (now the site of the football pitch and children’s playground at Zion Hill). Peggs Green was part of Thringstone Parish until the parish boundary changes of 1936, when it was transferred to Coleorton Parish.
John Tugby, landlord 1841-1861
John Tugby was the landlord of the New Inn for two decades:
- The 1841 electoral register records John Tugby at the New Inn.
- The 1851 census lists John Tugby as a Peggs Green spar manufacturer employing five men.
- The 1853 Mellville & Co’s Directory & Gazetteer of Leicestershire places John Tugby at the New Inn.
- The 1861 census records John Tugby as a licensed victualler in Peggs Green, but does not name the New Inn.
It was commonplace for publicans to have a second income. The man often worked as a coal miner or farmer, leaving his wife to serve the customers while he was at work. John Tugby would have combined his spar manufacturer business with being landlord.
John Tugby married Nottingham born Elizabeth Potter in Derby in 1818. They had seven children. Elizabeth died on the 26th April 1870 and was buried at Griffydam.
On the 26th June 1871 John Tugby was a farmer when he married widow Mary Ann Hull in Derby. Mary Ann was the daughter of John Griffin the miller at Thringstone Smock Mill, now Hough Mill, Swannington. John died in Thringstone on the 20th January 1877.
John’s name is immortalised in the nearby naming of Tugby’s Lane, between Loughborough Road Swannington and Nottingham Road, Peggs Green.
Thomas Cox landlord 1863-1879
The 1863 White’s Directory lists Thomas Cox at the New Inn. From a Swannington perspective the most important event during the tenure of Thomas Cox was the 13th November 1877 auction of Thringstone Smock Mill, now Hough Mill.
Thomas Cox seems to have had a flat area that was periodically used for sports, perhaps the current football pitch opposite the New Inn. There must have been hundreds of people at the running events, which would have also kept the bar exceedingly busy.
The Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 26 April 1879 reported:
COLEORTON – EASTER SPORTS – On Saturday, the 12th instant, and on Monday, the 14th instant, there was a large and very orderly meeting at Mr. T. Cox’s running ground, the New Inn, Coleorton. The following are the heats (only those with Swannington entrants listed):
- Heat 1 . J. Burton, Whitwick, 6 ; G. Smith, Swannington, 14 ; W. Bird, Griffydam, 16 ; J. Gibson, Loughborough, 7. G. Smith won by yards.
- Heat 6 ; W. Smith, Sheepshed, 14 1/2 ; J. Smith, Swannington, 16 ; E. Whale, Sheepshed,— ; W. Wheeldon, Loughborough, 14 1/2. A walk over.
- Heat 10 : W. Parnham, Sheepshed, 10, T. Bakewell, Whitwick, 17 1/2 ; R. Lovett, Swannington; W. Andrews, Hugglescote, 13 1/2 J. Glover, Swannington, 17; W. Waldron, Sheeepshed, 19; G. Barker, Hathern, 7. Waldron won by two yards.
- Heat 15 J Horne, Swannington 16; T Smith, Sheepshed 17; J Winterton, Loughborough 14 1/2; H Glover, Swannington 18 1/2; Smith won by a yard.
- The final heat was run by G Smith and R Lovett (Swannington), Savage (Sheepshed), and Clarke (Burton-on-Trent). The excitement was now intense, all the men running well.
Savage won first prize by a foot; Smith and Lovett ran dead heat for second prize, defeating Clarke by about 18 inches.
The R Lovett was probably the football player Robert Lovett of the Robin Hood.
The Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 13 September 1879 reported:
COLEORTON – HANDICAP RUNNING – On Saturday, the 30th ult., there was a large assemblage of spectators at the running grounds of Mr. T. Cox, the New Inn, Coleorton, to witness the 130 yards handicap running. Everything passed off; in a quiet and orderly manner. The referees were Mr. B. Percival, C. Griffydam, and Mr. S. Snelston, Ashby-de-la- Zouch. Pistol start. There was some really good running, the winners being greeted with loud cheers.
The prizes were – first. £5 ; second, 10s.; third, 7s. 6d. ; fourth, 2s. 6d. The finals were run on the following wake Tuesday. and the winners were – G. Smith (Swannington), first ; T. Smith (Swannington), second; W. Smith (Sheepshed), third; J. Lakin (Sheepshed), fourth. The following were the heats :
- Heat I—G. Wilton. Swannington, 15 1/2 yards ; T. Langham. Sheepshed. 18 : W. Johnson, Burton, 10 ; J. Bird, Griffydam, 11; first, T. Langham.
- Heat 6—J. Leigh, Pegg’sgreen. 24 : J. Thompson, Sheepshed, 9 ; J. Home, Swannington. 16 ; J. Woodward, Smiley, S ; first, J. Thompson.
- Heat 7 —.I. Butler, Sheepshed, 19 G. Smith, Swannington, 133 :R. Bonser, Swannington. 19 1/2 ; W. Bird, Griffydam, ; first. G. Smith.
- annington, 16; G. Warner. Mickleover, 15; T. Smith, Sheepshed, 19 ; first, T. Smith.
- Heat 10—W. Buckley, Coton Park, 18 ; J. Smith, Swannington, 15 ; J. Gibson, Loughborough, 9 ; first, J. Smith.
- Heat 12—H. Glover, Swannington, 19 1/2; W. Edwards, Pegg’s. green, 22 ; J. Winterson, Loughborough, 15 ; first. W. Edwards.
Henry Jackson landlord 1891
Henry Jackson was the licensed victualler at the New Inn on the 1891 census, living there with his wife Eliza Ann Jackson and 15 year old son Oswald J Jackson.
Joseph Bradford landlord 1901
Joseph Marsden Bradford was a coal miner living at the New Inn in 1901. His son Joe Bradford was born at Peggs Green in January 1901 and became Birmingham City Football Club’s all time record goal scorer with 249 goals in 414 league appearances. He scored seven goals during his 12 England appearances.
Queen’s Head, Coleorton
The Queen’s Head is at the western end of The Rowlands, where it meets Moor Lane. It is just on the Coleorton side of the parish boundary.
James Peters combined his ornamental spar manufacturing business with being the licensee of the Queen’s Head. His daughter Clara Peters was a barmaid who married groom, later farmer and publican James Shaw in 1882, useful experience for when they were at the Kings Arms, Swannington (now Coleorton) in 1911.