. . . . . . . Hough Mill open 2-5pm Sundays . . . . . . . July's Festival of Archaeology events now on Diary page . . . . . . .

Queen’s Head (Ashby Road)

This should not be confused with the Queen’s Head, Thornborough Road.

 

Landlords / Landladies

1871-1881 William Taberner

The 1871 census records:

  • William Taberner 69 Innkeeper, born Nuneaton
  • Mary Taberner, wife, 65 born Keyworth
  • Mary Ann Taberner, granddaughter, 4 born West Bromwich

 

William and his granddaughter were still at the Queen’s Head at the 1881 census

  • William Taberner 79 Beerhouse Keeper, born Nuneaton
  • William Taberner, grandson, 15 Coal Bank Labourer, born West Bromwich
  • Mary Ann Taberner, granddaughter, 14 born West Bromwich

 

1883 Roger Smith

Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 01 December 1883 – TRANSFER OF LICENSES.  The following licenses were transferred:— The New Inn, Whitwick, to John Shephard ; Queen’s Head, Swannington, to Roger Smith ; Abbey Inn, Whitwick, to Thomas Thorpe ; and the Plough Inn, Ashby, to George Hines.