The Station Inn is on the western side of Hough Hill just above the railway line.
The left part of the Station used to be the first Co-op shop opened in Swannington in 1894. The shop transferred to a site near the school in April 1909 (now the Chilli and Spice).
The Station Inn is still in business.
Landlords / Landladies
1875 Joseph Hickling – Barker & Co’s 1875 directory lists Joseph Hickling at the Station Inn.
1886 John Wilkinson Baseley to Levi Lovett – Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 20 February 1886 – Temporary authority of the licence of the Station Inn, Swannington, was granted to Levi Lovett from John Wilkinson Baseley.
Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 17 April 1886 – ASHBY PETTY SESSIONS SATURDAY, April. 10 – Before H. E. Smith, Esq., the Hon. Paulyn Hastings, and the Rev. W. B. , Beaumont. – TRANSFER OF LICENSES. -This was a Special Sessions for the transfer of licenses, and the following transfers were granted, viz. :—To Levi Lovett, of the Station Inn, Swannington ; to James Harriman, of the Waggon and Horses, Whitwick ; to George Holloway, of the Duke of Newcastle, Whitwick ; to Thos. Insley, of the Black Lion Blackfordby ; to Amos Parker, of the Gate Inn, Osgathorpe ; to John Davies, of the Royal Oak, Osgathorpe ; to Thomas Marriott, of the Blacksmith’s Arms, Whitwick ; to Thomas Richardson, of the Fox Inn, Thringstone ;. to Jas. Leeson, of the Engine Inn, Thringstone ; and to Richard Rowell, of the Fountain Inn, Swannington.
1886 – 1901 Levi Lovett – The Station was owned by Levi Lovett who in the 1891 and 1901 censuses is recorded as living three properties away from the railway station as a licensed victualler and colliery weighman. That property was almost certainly The Station Inn. His daughter Ethel Annie married George Clay and Levi Lovett moved further up Hough Hill handing over The Station Inn to his son in law.
See below for the Lodge anniversary dinner hosted by Levi Lovett in 1887.
1911-1929 George and Ethel Annie Clay – In 1911 the Station had nine rooms and was the home of George Clay (33) a metal turner at the wagon works and his wife Ethel Annie Clay (29) the daughter of owner Levi Lovett. They had been married for three years and had five month old George Lovett Clay. Living with them was Mary Ann Platts (17) their domestic servant.
1934-1939 Bert Godfrey –
Clubs and Societies
Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 30 May 1885 – SWANNINGTON – ODDFELLOWS DEMONSTRATION – On Whit- Monday, the members of the Leicestershire Seraphic Order of Oddfellows met at their lodge.house, Mr. John Baseley’s, Station Inn, to celebrate their annual festival.
After transacting the usual business the members formed in procession for church, headed by the Ashby Volunteer Band. At the church a most excellent sermon was preached by the Rev. F. T. Pearson, from the 11th chapter of Genesis, part of the 6th verse, and it was very attentively listened to. The service being over, the members wended their way to the vicarage, the band playing an excellent selection of music. After the bandsmen had been refreshed, the procession marched towards the lodge-house, the day being rather unfavourable for the festival.
A capital spread was provided in Mr. Baseley’s usual style, when 130 members and visiting friends sat down to the dinner. When the cloth was withdrawn, Mr. George Choyce was voted to the chair, and P.G.M. Charles Johnson to the vice-chair. The usual loyal and patriotic toasts were heartily drunk. T hen the toast, ” Success to the ‘ Lily of the Valley ‘ Lodge,” was heartily drunk, and the secretary, Mr. Levi Lovett, next read the proceedings of the past year, which gave great satisfaction to all present. “The Health of the Secretary” was then drunk with musical honours. Bro. Lovett responded.
The Vice-chairman gave ” The Health of the Rev. Mr. Pearson,” which was heartily drunk. The toast of ” The Health of Bro. Wm. Wardle, District Secretary,” was received with musical honours, and the other toasts included “The Visiting Friends,” “The Press,” “The Host and Hostess,” “The Chairman,” “The Vice-chairman,” and “The Band.” A most enjoyable day was spent.
Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 11 June 1887 – SWANNINGTON – LODGE ANNIVERSARY – The members of the Lily of the Valley Lodge met at their Lodge-bouse, Station Inn, Swannington, on Whit Monday, to hold their anniversary. After partaking of a little refreshment the members formed in procession, and headed by the Whitwick Colliery Company Brass Band, marched through the village en route to St. George’s Church, where an excellent and appropriate sermon was preached by the Rev. F. T. Pearson.
Upon leaving the church the members wended their way down to the vicarage, where a choice selection of music was played. They then called on Mr. Johnson, Lady Beaumont, Mr. Tweaks, Mr. Atkins, Mr. May, Mr. Fewkes, Mr. Choyce, Mr. Chester, and Mr. Shaw, and then returned to the lodge house where a capital spread had been provided by Mr. Levi Lovett. Full justice having been done to the good things provided,
Mr. G. Choyce was voted to the chair, when the following toasts were drunk with enthusiasm, ” The Queen,” ” The Prince of Wales and Royal Family,” ” The Army and Navy and Auxiliary Forces,” “The Rev. F. T. Pearson and Mrs. Pearson,” ” Lady Beaumont,” ” The Leicestershire S. 0. of 0. F.,” which was ably responded to by Bro. Chas. Johnson ; ” The Lily of the Valley Lodge,” responded to by P.G.M. Jos. Home, secretary, who said the lodge consisted of 184 benefit members, and he had great pleasure in seeing about 160 of them present that day for dinner. The capital of the club was £4Bl 6s. 6d. During this last year they had saved £22 8s.
The health of the host was drunk with thanks for the able manner in which he had catered for the company. Then followed songs, rendered by T. Brown, Win. Elton, Wm. Ward, Joe. Burton, M. Ball, and S. Cliff, members of the Lodge. The band played selections of music during the afternoon, giving great satisfaction to members and visitors. “God Save the ‘ Queen,” about eight p.m., brought an enjoyable day to a close.