Religion in Swannington
For centuries Swannington was a hotbed of nonconformist religious activity. The Church of England was always challenged by initially not having a church in the village, then building one on the extremity which made it difficult for it to play a central role in village life. Read more on the various church and chapel pages.
Church of England – St George’s Church – built 1825 on the corner of Loughborough Road and Church Hill.
Quaker Meeting House – later a Baptist Chapel, on the corner of Main Street and Church Lane.
Original Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – built around 1800 in the jitty off Main Street near the Stone House.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – built 1908-9 on the corner of Main Street and Burtons Lane.
Primitive Methodist Chapel – built 1858 at the south end of Main Street.
Wesleyan Reform Union Church – built 1906 in Church Lane, New Swannington.
Coleorton Baptist – built 1873 in The Rowlands, just inside the Swannington side of the boundary with Coleorton.