. . . . . . . New pages for churches, chapels, farms, public houses - look under Swannington History menu . . . . . . .

This page lists some of the coal mines in Swannington and nearby villages.

Swannington  Coal Mines

Coal mines within the current or former boundaries of Swannington.

Coleorton No 2 (Califat) 1853-1873

Colliery Owners – Benjamin Walker and William Worswick.

Location – Califat Spinney, St George’s Hill, Swannington.

Silver Hill approx 1690-1720

Colliery Owner – John Wilkins of Ravenstone Hall.

Location – Near the extension to Burtons Lane.  Land owned by Cuckoo Gap.

Snibston No 3 1850-1880 and 1892-1895

Colliery Owners – Snibston Colliery Company

Location – Spring Lane, Swannington.  Colliery House and donkey sheds area owned by Swannington Heritage Trust.

Raper and Fenton Mine

Colliery Owners – John Raper and William Fenton

Note – In use at the time of William Jessop’s 1794 tramway to the Charnwood Forest Canal.

Location – North side of Limby Hall Lane.  Now a small woodland owned by Wyggeston Hospital Trust.

Swannington No 1 (Calcutta) 1861-1877

Colliery Owner – William Worswick.

Subsequent Usage – Calcutta Pumping Station 1877-1986.

Location – Talbot Lane, Swannington.  Now owned by Roshal Space Consultants.

Swannington No 2 (Sinope) 1861-1877, 1891-1894, 1900-1902

Colliery Owner – for the main period of operation 1861-1877 William Worswick.

Subsequent Operation – 1891-1894 by Cox and Turner

Subsequent Operation 1900-1902 by the Snibston Colliery Company.

Location – Ashby Road, Sinope, Swannington, next to the Leicester and Swannington Railway.  Now a park homes site.

Swannington No 3 (Clink) 1861-1877

Colliery Owner – William Worswick.

Location – Clink Lane, Swannington (note, Clink Lane was blocked under the railway line.  It is opposite the Station Inn on Hough Hill, on private land.)

Coleorton Coal Mines

Bursulem’s Colliery

Location – North side of the A512 Ashby to Loughborough Road, to the west of the George Inn.

Coleorton No 1 (California) 1849-1873

Colliery Owners – Benjamin Walker and William Worswick.

Location – The playing field on Zion Hill, opposite the New Inn.  There was also a brickworks at the site.  Now owned by Coleorton Parish Council.

Coleorton No 3 (Bug and Wink) 1875-1933

Colliery Owners – G Checkland & Co.

Location – Coleorton Wood, Pitt Lane, Coleorton.  Now owned by Coleorton Parish Council.

Paddock Colliery 18th century

Note – In use at the time of William Jessop’s 1794 tramway to the Charnwood Forest Canal.

Location – North side of what is now the A512 Ashby to Loughborough Road, opposite the former Coleorton Hall fish ponds.

Coalville

Snibston No 1 1831

Colliery Owners – Snibston Colliery Company (originally owned by George Stephenson, Sir Joshua Walmsley, Joseph Sanders)

Colliery Location – Behind the Springboard Centre and library.

Snibston No 2 1833-1983

Colliery Owners – Snibston Colliery Company.

Location – Snibston Discovery Park, Chilswell Drive, Coalville.

Whitwick 1825-1986

Colliery Owners – William Stenson

Location – Whitwick Retail Park, Hermitage Road, Coalville.