Queen’s Head (now MotorTechnics, Whitwick)
The Queen’s Head was on the corner of Thornborough Road and Spring Lane, Swannington. This part of the village transferred to Coalville Urban District Council in 1936.
It is now MotorTechnics car sales and repairs.
Landlords / Landladies
1863 John Hunt
White’s Directory 1863.
1871 Thomas Hart
The 1871 census records:
- Thomas Hart 32 Licenced Victualler, born Markfield
- Harriet Hart, wife, 32 born Odstone
- William Hart, son, 4 born Swannington
- Tamar Hart, daughter, 2 born Swannington
1875 William Stretton
Barker & Co’s 1875 directory.
1876 John Thurman
Post Office Directory 1878.
1878 William Upton
Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 31 August 1878 – PETTY SESSIONS, SATURDAY, Aug. 24 – Before Major Mowbray (Chairman), Sir Miles Cave, Bart., and H. E. Smith, Esq. This was the annual Brewster Sessions. The following persons were ordered to attend to make application for the renewal of their licenses, viz. : William Upton, of the Queen’s Head, Swannington. Inspector Brewitt stated that on the 12th of August a case of assault was heard before this Bench, when it transpired that the men, who were returning from work, called at Mr. Upton’s house, and he supplied them with ale before six o’clock in the morning.
1881-1891 Charles Spencer
Kelly’s Directory 1881. The 1881 census records 25 year old Charles Spencer as an Inn keeper at the Queen’s Head, along with his 33 year old wife Annie.
Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 04 October 1884 – Charles Spencer, of Swannington, licensed victualler, pleaded guilty to having, on Sunday, the 14th Sept., opened his licensed premises for the sale of intoxicating liquors during prohibited hours, to wit, at 45 minutes past nine in the morning.— The case was proved by P.C. Garton. — Fined 21s. and costs, and conviction to be endorsed.
Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette – Saturday 05 September 1885 – ASHBY PETTY SESSIONS SATURDAY, AUG. 29 – Before Major Mowbray, H. E. Smith, Esq., the Hon. Paulyn Hastings, and the Rev. W. B. Beaumont. – The following persons were ordered to attend to make a personal application for the renewal of their licenses, viz. : Charles Spencer. of the Queen’s Head. Swannington, who was convicted on the 27th Sep., 1884, of keeping open during prohibited hours on a Sunday, when he was fined 21s. and costs, and the conviction recorded. The police reported that since that conviction there had been no complaint against him, and the license was renewed.
Census 1891 records the following occupants at the Queen’s Head, Thornborough
- Charles Spencer 36 Butcher and Inn Keeper, born Coleorton
- Annie Spencer, wife, 47 born Snarestone
- George H Spencer, son, 9 Scholar, born Thornborough, Swannington
- Anna Mary Spencer, daughter, 7 Scholar, born Thornborough, Swannington
- Emma Dooley, servant, 15, General Servant (Domestic), born Coalville
- George Litherland, lodger, 54, Blacksmith, born Thurlby, Leicestershire
- Mary Hartill, mother in law, 78 born Snarestone
1911-1912 William Hart
The 1911 records the inhabitants of the Queen’s Head as:
- William Hart 43, Licenced Victualler, born Leicestershire, Swannington
- Mary Jane Hart, Wife 42, Housewife, born Leicestershire, Whitwick
- Alfred Hart, Son 19, Hewers Loader, born Leicestershire, Newton Burgoland
- Elizabeth Gould, Servant 22, Domestic Servant, born Derbyshire, Coton in Elms
William is listed in the 1912 Kelly’s Directory.
1925-1928 Frank Palmer
Frank is listed in the 1925 and 1928 Kelly’s Directories.
When did the Queen’s Head cease trading?